A wife of noble character who can find?
She is worth far more than rubies.
Her husband has full confidence in her
and lacks nothing of value.
- Proverbs 31:10-11
We had a Men of the Bible Quiz A to J. So, this is a quiz on Women of the Bible. I still have not found the book by that title, so I used the Internet to get me started. I was unable to find an “F”, so I went through “K” in order to keep the quiz at ten questions.
Some of these might be obscure while others may be obvious. This quiz is all my invention.
The answer to each question is a Woman in the Bible with the first letter of the name corresponding to the question’s letter.
- Who was the wise wife of the foolish Nabal, who married David after her husband’s death, and bore David a son, Kileab?
- Who is mentioned in the genealogy of Jesus in Matthew, but only as Solomon’s mother, the wife of Uriah, not by name? Hint: Her name is mentioned a lot in the Old Testament.
- Who was the lady of the household, whose servants told the Apostle Paul that there were quarrels among the members of the church at Corinth? I know, rather obscure, by I love the name.
- Who was the daughter of Jacob and Leah? Her brothers defended her honor, the manner in which her honor was defended was much to Israel’s (Jacob’s) shame.
- Who was the daughter of Lois and the mother of Timothy? In spite of all the myths about this one verse in the Bible, it simply states that Lois had faith; she had faith; and the Apostle Paul was assured that Timothy had faith, nothing about conversion or the method regarding receiving faith.
- Who was a promiscuous woman, the daughter of Diblaim, who married a prophet and bore him three children with names that became prophecy?
- Who cried at Shiloh and prayed so fervently that Eli, the priest, thought she was drunk? She was crying because she was barren and she swore that she would give her son to God, if He would lift the curse of barrenness from her.
- Warning: This is quite obscure, but the only “I” that I could find. Who was Milkah’s sister, both daughters of Haran, Abram’s brother who died before the family moved from Ur of the Chaldeans. Milkah married Nahor, but nothing else is said of Milkah’s sister.
- Who was the first daughter born to Job after Job’s health was restored?
- Who became Abraham’s wife after Sarah died? She was the mother of Zimran, Jokshan (who was the father of Sheba), Medan, Midian, Ishbak and Shuah.
The first two women in this quiz were wives of David. Of the available “C” names, they were all fairly obscure, but I once had a dog by this name.
Some of these may be obscure so, here are the Bible references.
The Bible References
- 1 Samuel 25, for the son, 2 Samuel 3:3
- 2 Samuel 11, not mentioned by name in Matthew 1:6
- 1 Corinthians 1:11
- Genesis 30:21, Genesis 34
- 2 Timothy 1:5
- Hosea 1
- 1 Samuel 1
- Genesis 11:29
- Job 42:14
- Genesis 25:1-4
And now for the treat for doing so well on the quiz… The Mills Brothers, my favorite quartet, are singing Dinah, and doing their own beat box, decades before it was “invented” by the modern A Capella groups. And Mitch Miller only brought the bouncing ball to television. Max Fleischer already claimed it to be “famous” in this cartoon. This is a very old cartoon (1932), before the Mills Brothers recorded their first #1 Billboard hit, first for an African-American group, Paper Doll, and my favorite of theirs, Canadian Sunset. Both are often earworms of mine.
I have linked to this Spike Jones classic, but since we had a Walker Coon Hound by that name, I cannot get enough of it.
And when Gomer Pyle found out that his name could also be a woman’s name…
Soli Deo Gloria. Only to God be the Glory.