This service that you perform is not only supplying the needs of the Lord’s people but is also overflowing in many expressions of thanks to God. Because of the service by which you have proved yourselves, others will praise God for the obedience that accompanies your confession of the gospel of Christ, and for your generosity in sharing with them and with everyone else. And in their prayers for you their hearts will go out to you, because of the surpassing grace God has given you. Thanks be to God for his indescribable gift!
- 2 Corinthians 9:12-15
The church in Corinth was commended for seeing a need and providing a gift. The Apostle Paul spends the entire chapter talking of generosity born from the heart.
Since Boxing Day is not celebrated in the USA, it may seem strange to have a quiz for it. For those who celebrate Boxing Day and are expecting quiz questions about masters giving servants the day off along with boxes filled with gifts for the family, you may be disappointed. I based this entire quiz on the word “gift” in the NIV. Even some really great “gifts” may not be included in the quiz, if the word “gift” is not used in the NIV. The first person is a case in point, with the word “gift” meant for secondary characters in the story.
Sorry, that is the rule that I applied for the quiz. Actually, I like this quiz a lot, and I may follow this concept in some future quizzes.
The Bible Reference section is back this week.
|1||Let’s start with the first use of the word “gift.” One blessed person was showered with gold and silver jewelry and clothing, but the word “gifts” refers to what relations of this person? Oh, and who got the jewelry and clothing in the first place?|
|2||What son of Jacob, the sixth son born to Leah, was given a name that in part means “gift?”|
|3||Gifts given for the prescribed festivals are considered part of what other gift or offering?|
|4||Gifts were given to Aaron and his sons as they were set apart for the priesthood. These gifts were so they could do their work and the make atonement to prevent what from happening when people went near the sanctuary?|
|5||Who captured the Ark of the Covenant and everywhere they placed the Ark, miraculous things happened, like stone statues of false idols falling down before the Ark and people young and old getting tumors? How does this tie into the word “gift?” They were so fearful to keep the Ark, they wanted to give the Ark back to Israel, but their sorcerers and diviners stated that it could not be returned without also giving gifts.|
|6||King Jeroboam I was the first of the wicked kings of Israel. When a man of God spoke against him, Jeroboam stretched out his hand and ordered the man of God to be seized, but Jeroboam’s hand withered. The man of God restored Jeroboam’s hand and Jeroboam offered him a meal and a gift. What was the prophet’s response?|
|7||In Psalm 68, a psalm of David, the word “gift” is mentioned twice. The first time mentions that even the rebellious offer gifts to God. The second reference gives the reason why many of these gifts are offered. Why are the gifts offered, and what makes that reason odd in this psalm of David?|
|8||In Proverbs 18, a gift opens the way and what else?|
|9||In Ezekiel 20, “gifts” are mentioned four times, and only the last in a positive light. The first two ‘gifts’ are both defined, and similar. What are these abominable gifts?|
|10||In Micah 1, whose gifts will be consumed in fire and returned as gifts to prostitutes, since that is where they came from?|
|11||In the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus offers a reason to leave a gift at the offer and then return to offer the gift. What would be cause for doing so in this case?|
|12||Jesus speaks of someone giving their son a snake instead of a fish or a scorpion instead of an egg. And as no one would do that, our heavenly Father will give what gift if asked?|
|13||In Romans 6, the Apostle Paul speaks of the wages of sin being death, but what?|
|14||As the Apostle Paul starts 1 Corinthians, he says they have what type of gifts?|
|15||What did the Apostle Paul say was the source of our faith, the faith necessary for salvation by grace?|
There are 158 verses in the NIV that contain the word “gift.” And the references to the word “gift” are widespread, 58% of the books in the Old Testament and 56% of the books in the New Testament. Gift giving is very important in worship and glorifying God, but also in helping each other, especially those in need.
- Genesis 24:53, for the entire story, Genesis 24
- Genesis 30:20
- Leviticus 23:37-38, but these two verses are a footnote for the entire chapter.
- Numbers 8:19
- 1 Samuel 6:3, but the story starts in 1 Samuel 4 when the Ark was captured. Then in 1 Samuel 5, the Ark was sent from city to city, causing calamity everywhere it went (the Lord causing the calamity, but these people felt it was the Ark.) Their fear culminates in 1 Samuel 6 in giving the Ark back.
- 1 Kings 13:7 for the word “gift”, but 1 Kings 13:8-10 for the answer.
- Psalm 68:29.
- Proverbs 18:16.
- Ezekiel 20:26 and 31.
- Micah 1:6-7
- Matthew 5:23-24
- Luke 11:11-13
- Romans 6:23
- 1 Corinthians 1:7
- Ephesians 2:8
I could have gone on for another 15 questions or more. This one required some research, but it was rather fun to put together. I hope it challenged you, but I also hope it made you think a little, not just of the answers, but how we are supposed to give of ourselves, consecrate our gifts to God’s glory, and be grateful for the gifts God has showered upon us.
- Rebekah’s brother and mother, while Rebekah received the jewelry and clothing. The giver was the servant of Abraham, sent to find a suitable wife for Isaac.
- Zebulun. Most name definitions will list “dwelling,” but part of the root of the word is “gift” as mentioned in the Bible verse. Often dwellings were given as a dowry or gift, tying the different elements of the name together.
- None. They are in addition to the other offerings. Most churches speak of a time in the worship service for giving of your tithes and offerings. The ‘tithe’ is defined as the ten percent, and we will not discuss before or after taxes. Yet, many do not give 10%. Thus, some churches define the “tithe” as being the amount that you pledged to give at the beginning of the year. The “offerings” are in addition to your normal giving. In this case, you give the tithe; you give additional offerings for various purposes; and then when a special festival comes up on the calendar, the sacrifices given at that time are in addition to both the regular giving and the offerings.
- So that they might not be struck down with a “plague.” Plague being what they wanted to prevent.
- The Philistines, taking the Ark from Ebenezer to Ashdod to Gath to Ekron.
- The prophet refused the gift and the offer of food for God had told him not to eat or drink until his mission was complete. Then he returned taking a different path than the one he used in coming to Bethel.
- Because of God’s holy temple, the gifts will come, but being a psalm of David, David was prophesying rather stating historical fact. It was David’s son, Solomon, who built the temple after David had passed away.
- Ushers the giver into the presence of the great.
- In verse 26, the sacrifice of the firstborn. In verse 31, the sacrifice of children in the fire.
- If a brother or sister had something against you, go and reconcile with them and then return.
- The Holy Spirit
- The gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
- Spiritual gifts.
- Our faith is not of ourselves, but is a gift of God.
Since you did so well or even if you did not do too well, the following is a two-part video from The Big Bang Theory that illustrates Sheldon’s problem with gift giving. First is Sheldon’s erroneous problem, erroneous in that we could never give back to God what He has given us. The Second is the ultimate, and hysterical result after he learns what Penny gave to him for Christmas.
If you like these Saturday morning Bible quizzes, but you think you missed a few, you can use this LINK. I have set up a page off the home page for links to these Saturday morning posts. I will continue to modify the page as I add more.
Soli Deo Gloria. Only to God be the Glory.