When the Weather Person is a Little Off

The Pharisees and Sadducees came to Jesus and tested him by asking him to show them a sign from heaven.
He replied, “When evening comes, you say, ‘It will be fair weather, for the sky is red,’ and in the morning, ‘Today it will be stormy, for the sky is red and overcast.’ You know how to interpret the appearance of the sky, but you cannot interpret the signs of the times. A wicked and adulterous generation looks for a sign, but none will be given it except the sign of Jonah.” Jesus then left them and went away.

  • Matthew 16:1-4

If clouds are full of water,
    they pour rain on the earth.
Whether a tree falls to the south or to the north,
    in the place where it falls, there it will lie.
Whoever watches the wind will not plant;
    whoever looks at the clouds will not reap.

  • Ecclesiates 11:3-4

On March 8, I checked the weather for the next day.  There was a seventy percent chance of rain the next day.  The temperature was supposed to be in the mid 40s.

I took the phot above the next morning.  We had four inches of snow on the car by the time the snow stopped and it was heavy snow.  With the temperature near freezing, it was too heavy to lift in the shovel.  I pushed the snow away from the car.  Even the next day, there was a blanket of white everywhere except where footsteps and car tires had been.

When you hear the weather person say that there is 70% chance of rain, you think that there is a 30% chance of there not being any precipitation, but no, obviously in this case, it means 30% chance of snow instead, and not a light dusting at that.

To their credit, the weather people get it right a lot of the time.  Sometimes, it is down to the hour.  “It will go from 10% chance of rain at 3:00pm to a 80% chance of rain at 4:00pm, and I am bound to get wet going to the car at 4:00pm.

But this time, they missed.  But the children did not mind.  I was at the grocery store the next day and the checkout clerk asked a little preschooler if he liked the surprise snow, and his face lit up like a Christmas tree.

And my wife and I had not planned on going anywhere anyway, but we did.  That led to me shoveling around the car.  My wife had decided that we needed to spend the gift card at a local restaurant that a member of our Sunday school class gave us for Christmas.  The roads were a little wet, but clear.  I wore sunglasses, because everything being white makes a little sun into a lot of light.  But we had a wonderful lunch and there was enough in the take-home container for dinner.

So, weather people, if you want to get it wrong again, you have my permission.

Soli Deo Gloria.  Only to God be the Glory.


Add yours →

  1. Linda Lee Adams/Lady Quixote March 22, 2022 — 10:07 pm

    Last week, I read an article on AccuWeather about the various types of storms that were expected to possibly hit our country this week, as indeed they have done. I noticed that the head meteorologist listed at the top of the article has this for a last name: Sosnowski.

    I couldn’t help but wonder… 😉

    Liked by 1 person

    • Was his first name Letit? If so, don’t say his name three times.

      Liked by 1 person

      • Linda Lee Adams/Lady Quixote March 23, 2022 — 12:59 am


        By the way, the name that I use online, Linda Lee Adams, is a pseudonym. In real life, my legal last name is just as long and difficult for English speakers to pronounce, as Sosnowski.

        Liked by 1 person

      • I once had a guy in a steel making class whose last name started with “P” and was 14 letters long, one “I” and a “Y” and the rest consonants. There were actually three syllables in the pronunciation and I got an applause for getting it right.

        Liked by 1 person

      • Linda Lee Adams/Lady Quixote March 23, 2022 — 12:19 pm

        Amazing! My last name is 10 letters, 7 consonants and 3 vowels. I’m sure you wouldn’t have any trouble pronouncing it.

        Liked by 1 person

      • Hey, I grew up in Mississippi where half the names of places, and some people names, were not pronounced the way they looked. My brother’s professor, in archaeology, met with me when I unearthed some interesting artifacts in my grandmother’s back yard. He was amazed at how I could pronounce all the Chickasaw and Choctaw names in the area correctly, but I grew up there. How else do you pronounce them?

        Liked by 1 person

      • I cannot spell the steel making guy’s name, but it was pronounced, Puh-shev-vish. Accent on middle syllable. A few letters were silent.

        Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: